Rental FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions for Facility Rentals

May I call and see if my requested date is available before filling out the Rental Interest Form?

Yes, you are welcome to contact the Sales & Community Relations Manager any time with questions at or 703-993-9344. However, space cannot be held until the Rental Interest Form has been received and processed.

What is the capacity of each space within the Hylton Center?

Capacities and other venue information for renting is available here. Each event will have specific needs, and capacity maximums for a room may decrease based upon the set-up and scope of the event. Stated capacities reflect normal operations and do not take Covid-19 safety measures and reduced capacities into account.

May I put a space on hold?

Yes. To hold a space, complete a Rental Interest Form. Upon receipt, the Sales Manager will contact you and verify all information. Once the Rental Interest Form information is verified, the Sales Manager will confirm your requested date/space is on a “Hold” status. A “Hold” status gives you the first right of refusal should anyone else request the same date and space.

May I bring my own caterer to serve at my event?

Yes. Caterers must be on the Mason Approved Caterer list. All caterers serving on any George Mason University campus location must be approved prior to the event. To become approved, please visit the Fiscal Services website.

The approval process is managed by Fiscal Services and can take up to three weeks depending on current business demands. Once a caterer is approved by both Mason and the Commonwealth, they are listed on the Approved Caterer list on the Fiscal Services web site and may serve at any Mason campus location.

Does the Hylton Center have a catering kitchen?

Yes, our centrally located catering kitchen is free of charge for use by caterers serving our guests. The kitchen has an ice-maker, refrigerator, dishwasher, microwave and stainless steel prep sink area, but there is no stove or oven. There is open space for caterers to bring their own tables and prep equipment. Caterers should tour the site prior to the event to verify available space and set up requirements.

May I serve alcohol at my function?

Yes, as long as the caterer has a current, active Virginia Alcohol Beverage Control license. Renters may also apply directly for a one-day special event beverage license. Please discuss with your caterer.

A Mason police officer will need to be hired to work the event if alcohol is served. The Sales & Community Relations Manager will include the cost of that service in the estimate and make all arrangements for you.

Is parking available at the Hylton Center for my guests?

The Hylton Center is happy to offer free parking within our own lot to event guests. The Hylton Center lot has 350 free spaces, including a minimum of 7 handicapped spaces in our lot. Behind the building is the Tower Lot, which has another 250 spaces.

If additional parking is required, there is overflow parking on the Mason campus.

Are there accommodations for my guests with accessibility needs?

Yes, the Hylton Center is fully compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Among the ADA services provided:

  • Accessible parking
  • Accessible entrance
  • Accessible seating
  • Accessible rest rooms
  • Assisted listening devices

If any of your guests have accessibility needs, please contact the Sales & Community Relations Manager at 703-993-9344. The Hylton Center staff is happy to assist and, with enough advance notice, can make other special arrangements as needed.  More information about the Hylton Center's accessible options is here

Is a deposit required to confirm the space?

Once your event’s estimate is complete, it will outline the deposit amount due to confirm the space, along with a signed contract. Additional deposits may be required. The deposit may be submitted via check. Checks should be made payable to: George Mason University. The deposit is refundable less an administrative fee, when written notice of cancellation is received 60 days prior to the event date, unless the event is in December. All events booked in December require a non-refundable deposit due to the extreme demand for space during that time.

What resources are available if there is an emergency on campus?

Visit for a listing of resources to help prepare for emergency situations that may arise on campus.