Before the Performance
Sponsored by the Friends of the Hylton Center
Join us at the Hylton Center one hour prior to most Hylton Presents events, and enjoy our lively and popular Pre-Performance Discussions. These forums are led by local experts and, often, by the artists themselves. Here, patrons are encouraged to ask questions and are able to gain a bit of insight and knowledge about our world-renowned guest artists. These captivating exchanges provide a unique opportunity to go behind the scenes!
When available, information about the speaker(s) is posted on the event listing for each performance.
Buchanan Partners Art Gallery
Enjoy exhibitions by local and regional visual artists before or after a performance in the Buchanan Partners Art Gallery.
House Rules and Helpful Information
For the safety, convenience, and benefit of all audience members, performers, and staff, we ask that patrons please observe the following rules and regulations:
- You must be 21 years or older and provide a valid ID to purchase alcohol.
- Please do not leave personal possessions unattended.
Upon entering the theater
- All patrons must have a valid ticket regardless of age.
- Lap seats, if offered, are for 2 years and under. Baby carriers may be placed on seats if you have purchased a ticket for that seat. Carriers must not block the view of other patrons or impede egress in the aisle.
- Patrons must sit in their assigned seat. If you need to move your seat, please contact the Ticket Office.
- Patrons arriving after the start of a performance will be seated at an appropriate break in an appropriate location as determined by house management and as dictated by artists’ requirements.
While inside the theater
- No photography or video recording.
- Food and drink are not permitted into the theaters, with the exception of bottled water or our Venue Tumblers, which can be purchased at the concessions stand or the Ticket Office.
- In accordance to venue safety and fire code, all aisles must remain clear of objects at all times. Patrons must sit in a physical seat, and may not stand or sit on an aisle.
- Disturbing fellow patrons by loud conversation, phones, visual and auditory distractions, or otherwise inappropriate behavior is not permitted and may result in removal from the event without a refund.
- All railings in the theaters must remain clear of personal items at all times.
- The following items are prohibited from our theaters:
- The use of Tobacco or vaping products
- Flames of any kind
- Fire arms
- Animals, unless they are an ADA service animal. ADA service animals must remain leashed while on property.
- Violation of House Rules or University Regulations may result in prosecution and/or removal from the event without a refund.
Learn about accessible options when visiting the Hylton Performing Arts Center.
Please call the Ticket Office at 703-993-7700 if you have lost your tickets.
Friendly house staff members are stationed throughout the theater prior to each performance to help guide you to your seats.
Please allow plenty of travel time to reach the venue. As a courtesy to the artists and our patrons, the Hylton Performing Arts Center strives to start all performances on time. Patrons arriving after the start of a performance will be seated at an appropriate break and in an appropriate location, as determined by house management, and according to artists’ requirements.
The Hylton Center Performing Arts Center provides access for patrons with disabilities. Patrons with special needs should call the Hylton Center Ticket Office at 703-993-7700 for information on accessible parking and seating areas. FM hearing devices, large print programs and other services are available for your convenience and comfort. Please contact the Ticket Office at least two weeks in advance of the performance with any special needs requests. More information about accessible options at the Hylton Center
All patrons, regardless of age, require a ticket. Children and youth through grade 12 may join a ticket holder for any Hylton Presents event at half of the regular price. There are many events identified as “Family Friendly Events” which we deem as most suitable for families with younger children to enjoy together. In an effort to ensure an exceptional experience for all of our patrons, we recommend that children attending events other than “Family Friendly” be at least six years of age.
The Lost and Found is located with the Front of House Staff. Hylton Center patrons can also call 703-993-7700. Wallets and cell phones are kept in the Hylton Center safe.
The Hylton Center makes every effort to present scheduled performances even in the event of inclement weather. However, there are times when extraordinary weather conditions cause an event to be cancelled or rescheduled. Please call the Ticket Office at 703-993-7700 or check the website homepage for performance updates. If an event is cancelled or rescheduled, you will be contacted by phone or email to notify you of your options regarding exchanges or refunds. Please contact the Ticket Office if your phone number and/or email address have changed.