Hylton on the Hill
We are thrilled to welcome you to Hylton on the Hill, our new outdoor performance space with seating on a natural rise just behind the theater. Enjoy these performances in your own seating area, physically distanced from other audience members. Get all the answers about what to expect when you attend an event at Hylton on the Hill.
Prior to your arrival on campus, all visitors must complete the Mason COVID Health✓™.
Upcoming Performances at this Venue
The Queen's Cartoonists
Sunday, Oct. 18 at 6:30 p.m.
With virtuosic musicianship, multi-instrumental mayhem, and large doses of comedy, The Queen’s Cartoonists will change the way your family sees (and hears) the Sunday funnies.
Buy Tickets | Learn More
What to Expect
For Hylton on the Hill performances, the artists’ stage will be set up on flat grassy area behind the Hylton Center and the audience will be seated on the hill facing the stage and building.
All parking for Hylton on the Hill events is in the Tower Lot behind the Hylton Center. You will be directed to the parking area when you arrive for the event. Accessible parking spaces are also available in the Tower Lot.
- Physical Distancing: Please maintain at least 6 feet of distance between you and other guests throughout your visit.
- Ten feet of physical distance must be maintained between all performers, participants, and patrons who are not members of the same household.
- Face Coverings: All staff members and audience members are required to wear a face covering while on the campus of George Mason University.
- Staggered Dismissal: After the performance, dismissal anouncements will be made from the stage based on your seating circle color. This will allow for physical distancing as you exit the venue.
- Hand Sanitizing Stations: Hand sanitizer will be available throughout the outdoor venue and near the restrooms.
- Mason COVID Health Check: Before coming to campus, all visitors (staff, artists, audience members) should complete the Mason COVID Health✓™. Upon completion, you will get an email with a green, yellow, or red status. Please stay home if you do not receive a green status.
- Stay home if you are sick: Please do not attend a performance if you are sick, displaying any symptoms of COVID-19, or have recently been exposed to someone with COVID-19. We will happily refund your ticket purchase if you are not able to attend.
Seating is first-come, first-served. Patrons will be able to choose their socially distanced seating area upon arrival. Each seating area will be spaced 10 feet from other groups. The area for each seating group allows up to four people to sit together. Look for an empty spot marked with a spray-painted circle.
Yes. Chairs and blankets are not provided by the venue. If your chair block sightlines for other patrons you may be asked to remove it.
The maximum number of attendees for outdoor events at Hylton on the Hill is 200.
No food is permitted at Hylton on the Hill events, which includes the outdoor venue and adjacent parking lots. This allows audience members to wear face coverings as much as possible. Water bottles are welcome.
We are striving to keep these events less then 90 minutes long so there will not be an intermission.
The restrooms in Beacon Hall will be open during performances at Hylton on the Hill presented by the Hylton Center. There are 4 restrooms available and they will be limited to one person at a time. Staff will be on hand to control entry to the restrooms to ensure social distancing.
You may enter the Hylton on the Hill venue and parking area up to one hour before performance time.
In order to reduce contact between staff and patrons, all programs will be provided digitally. Advance ticket buyers will receive the program via email and it will also be available with the event information on our website.
Tickets for events presented by the Hylton Performing Arts Center at Hylton on the Hill can be purchased online at HyltonCenter.org beginning the evening of August 25 for Friends of the Hylton Center, at 10 a.m. on August 27 for subscribers, and at 10 a.m. on August 28 for the general public. You may visit the Ticket Office in person or call 703-993-7759 to purchase tickets beginning on August 26 between the hours of 10 a.m. and 6 p.m., Tuesday through Saturday. For safety, lines at the ticket office will be physically distanced and face coverings will be required. Please note the total capacity of available tickets for each performance is 200.
Accessible tickets are available for these events. We will reserve a number of accessible seats on the flattest part of the grassy seating area. These are suitable for those with minor mobility issues. We will also have a section of accessible seating in the side parking area. This area is completely flat tarmac and can accommodate those with more severe mobility issues or those using power chairs. If you are unsure what section would suit you best, please reach out to the ticket office for assistance.
Events at Hylton on the Hill will be general admission seating which allows you to choose your seating circle when you arrive on a first-come, first-served basis. (See “Where will I sit?” above for details.)
You may purchase up to 4 tickets and be seated together during the performance. Parties of 5 or more will be seated in separate areas.
Yes, when you purchase your tickets, select the “Tickets@Home” option in the cart online or let the ticket seller assisting you know your preference. You will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org with a link to either print your tickets or open up digital tickets on your phone. When presenting your tickets to an usher, please make sure the barcode is visible and turn up the screen brightness on your phone.
If tickets are still available for sale, you may purchase your ticket at the Outdoor Ticket Kiosk beginning one hour prior to the start of the event. This can be done while still in your vehicle.
If the event is rescheduled due to inclement weather or other unforeseen circumstances, tickets will be automatically rolled over to the new date and time. If you are unable to attend the rescheduled event or if the event is canceled, you have the following options:
- Receive an exchange certificate that is valid for other events in the Hylton Presents season, Hylton Family Series, Matinee Idylls Series, or American Roots series.
- Donate the cost of their tickets back to the Hylton Performing Arts Center as an in-kind contribution and receive an acknowledgement letter for tax purposes from the GMU Foundation
- Receive a refund. Purchases made with a credit card will be refunded to the same card. Purchases made with cash, check, or a credit card that is now expired or invalid will be refunded in the form of a check.
If you are sick, experiencing symptoms consistent with COVID-19, or have recently been exposed to someone positive for COVID-19, please do not attend the performance. Please use our expanded ticket flexibility options to receive an exchange certificate, a refund, or donate your ticket back to the Hylton Performing Arts Center.
Yes, we encourage you to redeem your account credit towards purchases for our outdoor performances. You can call the Ticket Office to arrange a purchase with account credit, and either mail the physical certificate or email a photo of a torn certificate to redeem its value. Account credit can also be redeemed in person at the Ticket Office. If you are experiencing issues with redeeming your account credit , please call the Ticket Office for assistance.
These performances are only available for sale as individual tickets. Due to the limited number of tickets available, subscription discounts will not be offered for these events. Half-price tickets for youth through grade 12 are available for purchase.
Yes, a limited quantity of free student tickets will be available for each event. Student ticketholders will be required to sit in the designated student section at Hylton on the Hill. Eligible Mason students should contact the Ticket Office to claim their tickets. Students are encouraged to claim their tickets in advance and must review the outdoor event policies before attending.